The Heustis brothers began their arrival in Coventry in 1801 when Simon Baxter Heustis pitched
on lot 50 which today encompases about 100 acres on either side of Airport Rd. at the Irasburg
border. Simon was one of four Heustis brothers who would come from Westmoreland, N.H. to settle
in Coventry. He was a farmer "in moderate circumstances as to property"(1) and worked the land
for almost 15 years before returning to Westmoreland in 1816.
In 1804 the second brother Aristides Heustis Jr. arrived and purchased lot number 76 which was located to the northwest of his brother straddling Alder Brook to the south of Cotnoir Rd. He also remained in Coventry for about 15 years but at some point before 1820 he moved to Brownington, and later to Barton. He eventually left the area and moved out west to Iowa.
By 1810, the other two brothers Daniel and William had settled in Coventry, both apparently only spending a few years in town, Daniel was attached to a small cavalry unit during the War of 1812 which operated in Orleans county, but by 1820 he and his brother William had left Coventry and moved with most of their family to the area around Crown Pt. N.Y.
1. Daniel D.Heustis, A narrative of the adventures and sufferings of Captain Daniel D. Heustis and his companions, in Canada and Van Dieman's Land, during a long captivity; with travels in California, and voyages at sea., Boston, Publ. for Redding & co., by S. W. Wilder & co., 1847
- Pliny White, History of Coventry, Vt., 1858, Irasburgh, Vt.
- History of Westmoreland (Great Meadow) New Hampshire, 1741-1970, and Genealogical Data., Westmoreland History Committee, 1976, Westmoreland,N.H.