1827 - The Fulling Mill
Coventry History
BACK|                                


The first use of industrial waterpower in Coventry village was in the fall of 1827 when Jesse Cook built a FULLING MILL .Cook, who was born in Lebanon, N.H. came from a long line of weavers and woolen mill operators in his family. He moved to Morristown, Vt around 1826 when he was given half ownership of a carding and clothing mill which his brother John had purchased in 1824. The next year he struck out on his own to Coventry where he built his own fulling-mill on the north side of the river, (on the site of the future starch factory) and furnished it with machines for carding wool and dressing cloth. Samuel Boynton bought an undivided half of the fulling-mill, November 17th 1828, and carried on the business in company with Cook till January 28th, 1830, when a reconveyance of the property was effected. On the 20th of April


Samuel Boynton's Quit Claim Deed for the Fulling Mill

1830, Cook sold to Thaddeus H. Flint and Daniel Bean, both from Sutton. A very great freshet occurred March 31st 1831, which undermined the mill and destroyed it. Flint and Bean then built another mill a few rods down the river. This was burned in December 1848, and was not rebuilt. (1,2)

References:
1. History of Coventry, Pliny White 1858, Irasburg, VT
2. The Ancestry Of Jesse Cook and his Descendants, Carrie Cook Doe, Orleans, Vt., 1922

BACK|